Long Service Awards
Local Government NSW grants three awards for long serving elected members who meet eligibility criteria:
- Outstanding Service Award
- Certificate of Service
- Emeritus Mayor Certificate
To apply for an award, council must fill in the online order form. One form per recipient.
- On completion of the form, a copy will be emailed to you for your records and an invoice will be sent to council.
- Please allow a minimum of four weeks for delivery of the award after receipt of order.
- The general manager's tick-box on the form indicates that the information is correct and has (wherever possible) been checked with the recipient of the certificate.
- Reprinting incorrect certificates may incur a fee.
Outstanding Service Award
The eligibility criteria for the awards is:
- Elected members that have completed a cumulative total of at least 20 years service to Local Government in NSW.
The outstanding service award set comprises four pieces (medal, miniature, lapel badge and citation A5 in size) featuring the LGSA coat of arms and is finished in 24ct gold and presented in a gold embossed presentation case. The reverse side of the medal is inscribed with the recipient's name and the year the recipient retired. If the recipient is still serving, the year in which the medal is received will be engraved.
For those who continue to serve, and at retirement have completed 25 or more years, a bar is affixed to the original medal with the total number of years served inscribed upon it.
Certificate of Service
Certificates of Service are available from Local Government NSW as an acknowledgement of the work of retiring or long serving elected members.
The eligibility criteria are:
- Retired elected members: completion of two terms (eight years).
- Currently serving elected members: completion of three terms (12 years).
The certificate is gold embossed, A4 in size and presented in a black frame.
Emeritus Mayor Certificate
The eligibility criteria is that intended recipients must have served as mayor for either:
- A minimum of three one-year terms, or
- One full term as a popularly elected Mayor.
This award is intended to provide ongoing recognition to those who have served as a mayor. Academic institutions recognise their retiring valued members with the title of Emeritus Professor and State and Federal Parliaments recognise senior parliamentary contribution with the title of Honourable on an ongoing basis. A certificate which recognises service as a mayor to council has been produced. The Emeritus Mayor certificate is gold embossed, A4 in size and is presented in a black frame.