Model Asbestos Policy
In 2012, LGNSW, in partnership with the Heads of Asbestos Coordination Authorities (HACA), developed a Model Asbestos Policy which:
- Can be used as the basis for councils’ own asbestos policies
- Outlines councils’ important legislative obligations
- Was developed with input from council representatives
- Was issued to all councils by the Office of Local Government under section 23A of the Local Government Act 1993 in 2013.
In 2015, the Model Asbestos Policy was due for review and was revised by HACA.
Councils should use the revised Model Asbestos Policy (2015) as the basis for their asbestos policy.
Revisions to the Model Asbestos Policy
The Model Asbestos Policy has been revised to include:
- New waste regulations
- New information about naturally occurring asbestos
- More information about loose fill asbestos insulation
- Reference to the Demolition work code of practice 2015
- Reference to the NSW Asbestos Emergency Plan (2014) and the Disaster Assistance Guidelines (2015).
Download a summary of the changes to the Model Policy (PDF, 103KB).
Actions for councils
Councils must ensure they comply with the abovementioned legislation.
Councils with an asbestos policy based on the earlier Model Asbestos Policy are encouraged to update their asbestos policy.
Councils that have not yet adopted an asbestos policy based on the Model Asbestos Policy are encouraged to do so.
Advice and assistance is available from LGNSW’s Project Manager – Asbestos Policy.
The General Manager has a duty to exercise due diligence to ensure that council complies with the Work Health and Safety Act 2011 (NSW) and the Work Health and Safety Regulation 2011 (NSW). This includes taking reasonable steps to ensure that council has and uses appropriate resources and processes to eliminate or minimise risks associated with asbestos.Managers are responsible for ensuring workers who report to them have access to appropriate information, documentation and training.
Asbestos Management Training Workshops
Councils with an Asbestos Policy based on the Model Asbestos Policy
- Ballina Shire Council
- Bathurst Regional Council
- Bega Valley Shire Council
- Berrigan Shire Council
- Blacktown City Council
- Bland Shire Council
- Bogan Shire Council
- Bourke Shire Council
- Brewarrina Shire Council
- Broken Hill City Council
- Burwood Council
- Cabonne Council
- Camden Council
- Carrathool Shire Council
- Central Darling Shire Council
- City of Canada Bay Council
- Clarence Valley Council
- Cobar Shire Council
- Council of the City of Sydney
- Gilgandra Shire Council
- Glen Innes Severn Council
- Goulburn Mulwaree Council
- Greater Hume Shire Council
- Griffith City Council
- Hay Shire Council
- Kempsey Shire Council
- Leeton Shire Council
- Lismore City Council
- Mid-Western Regional Council
- Narrandera Shire Council
- Narromine Shire Council
- North Sydney Council
- Orange City Council
- Penrith City Council
- Port Macquarie-Hastings Council
- Port Stephens Council
- Richmond Valley Council
- Strathfield Municipal Council
- Sutherland Shire Council
- Tenterfield Shire Council
- The Hills Shire Council
- Upper Lachlan Shire Council
- Waverley Council
- Weddin Shire Council
- Willoughby City Council
- Wingecarribee Shire Council
- Wollongong City Council