Land Use Planning
Local Government plays a vital role in planning for and managing the sustainable development of local communities in NSW.
Local Government NSW provides advice to councils on government policy and legislation in matters to do with land use planning and the built environment.
Planning-related issues that affect Local Government in urban, rural or regional locations, include:
- Changes to planning policies, regulations and systems.
- Metropolitan and regional planning.
- Land use planning and local environmental plans (LEPs).
- Development and building assessment.
- Sustainable development of rural and regional communities.
- Servicing of land (e.g. for housing, commercial and industrial use).
We participate in working/reference groups and panels and engage with government to strongly represent the interests of Local Government in a range of planning, building and development matters.
We also make written submissions on key planning-related issues that are of interest and relevance to Local Government.
- Greater Sydney Commission
- NSW Regional Plans
- Metropolitan Strategy
- Community Engagement Practice.
- NSW Legislative Updates
- Review of SEPPs
- Building Reforms
- Complying Codes
- Review of SEPP 65 – Design Quality of residential Flat Buildings.
Submissions and Resources
- Submission to the Department of Planning and Environment - Social impact assessment draft guidelines for State significant mining, petroleum production and extractive industry development (PDF, 293KB)
- Submission to the Department of Planning and Environment’s 2016 Draft Proposed Medium Density Housing Code & Design Guide - Dec 2016 (PDF, 118KB)
- Submission to the Department of Planning and Environment’s 2016 Background Paper entitled A Review of Complying Development for Inland NSW - May 2016 (PDF, 176KB).
- Submission to the Department of Planning and Environment’s 2015 Discussion Paper entitled Expanding complying development to medium density development - April 2016 (PDF, 260KB).
- Letter to Minister Dominello regarding Review of Building Professionals Act 2005 - February 2016 (PDF, 911KB)
- LGNSW Submission on the Regulation of Manufactured Homes, Caravan Parks, Manufactured Home Estates and Camping Grounds - January 2016 (PDF, 219KB)
- LGNSW correspondence to the Hon Brad Hazzard MP regarding planning - October 2013 (PDF, 1.8MB)
- LGNSW correspondence to the Hon Barry O'Farrell regarding the proposed Planning Bill - September 2013 (PDF, 2MB)
- LGNSW Submission Mining SEPP Amendments (Resource Significance) - August 2013 (PDF, 1.98MB)
- LGNSW Submission on the Draft Metropolitan Strategy for Sydney to 2031 - June 2013 (PDF, 534KB).
- LGNSW Submission to the Planning White Paper and Exposure Bills - June 2013 (PDF, 458KB)
- LGNSW Submission to Mining SEPP - CSG Exclusion Zones - April 2013 (PDF, 397KB)
- LGSA Submission to NSW Planning System Review - Green Paper - September 2012 (PDF, 997KB)
- LGSA Submission on Strategic Regional Land Use Plans and Policies_Final - May 2012 (PDF, 378KB)
- LGSA Submission on Draft policy Statement: Plan Making and Delegation – May 2012 (PDF, 376KB)
- LGSA Submission on Strategic regional Land Use Plans – April 2012 (PDF, 378KB)
- LGSA Submission on the Review of NSW Planning System Issues Paper - March 2012 (PDF, 512KB)
- LGSA Submission on the Review of the State Environmental Planning Policy No 65 - Design Quality of Residential Flat Development - Feb 2012 (PDF, 89KB).
- Draft Submission regarding Preliminary Comments on Review of NSW Planning System - November 2011 (PDF, 269KB)
- Submission to the Legislative Council Inquiry (General Purpose Standing Committee No5) Into Coal Seam Gas - Sept 2011 (PDF, 176KB)
- Affordable Rental Housing SEPP Review - Mar 2011 (PDF, 182KB).