Every local government area is made up of people from different races, cultures and backgrounds, and it’s this diversity that adds to the vibrancy of our communities.
Local Government NSW (LGNSW) supports member councils throughout NSW to undertake a range of activities that foster multicultural communities and promote social cohesion.
Some of these activities include:
- assisting culturally and linguistically diverse groups to participate in their local community;
- refugee resettlement services for newly arrived migrants;
- the promotion of Harmony Day;
- holding citizenship ceremonies and cultural events,
- and facilitating peer support for council staff working with multicultural communities.
LGNSW works with local, state and federal government and the not-for-profit sector by:
- Examining best practice models/frameworks to promote social cohesion and inclusion
- Exploring pragmatic responses to social cohesion challenges in our diverse communities, and
- Showcasing key strategies used in the local government sector
- Representing the local government sector on the NSW Government’s Joint Partnership Working Group on Refugee Resettlement.
Local Government Multicultural Network
LGNSW supports the Local Government Multicultural Network (LGMN), comprised of council staff who work in the multicultural sector.
For more information on the LGMN, email Turkan Aksoy or call 02 9707 9863.
BACK TO MAIN PAGE