Held annually, the Awards aim to recognise outstanding achievements by NSW councils in managing and protecting the environment.
Eligibility and Divisions
Councils, county councils, regional groups of councils and other council-based organisations are eligible to enter. See conditions of entry below.
For each of the awards there are three divisions based on a council's population base:
- Division A: for a population less than 30,000
- Division B: for a population of 30,000-70,000
- Division C: for a population of more than 70,000
If a project has been undertaken by a regional group of councils or other council-based organisation, then the division is based on the combined population bases of all councils within the region or organisation.
What the judges are looking for
- A sound rationale for the project
- Challenging objectives that go beyond core business
- How thoroughly the project has been implemented
- Whether the project objectives were achieved
- Creation of new opportunities and anticipation of future challenges.
Certificates will be awarded to the winners in each division and all category award winners will receive a trophy.
The prize for the overall winner of the Local Sustainability Award is an overseas study tour or a professional development program for council staff, valued at $10,000 (plus GST). A proposal will be developed by the winning council for approval by LGNSW by 30 April 2021. The prize must be claimed by 30 November 2021. The delegates on the study tour, or the participants in the professional development program will be expected to present their findings at the following year's event.
The prize for the Louise Petchell Memorial Award for Individual Sustainability will be a certificate and the winner's choice of one of the following:
- An accommodation/meal package for two to the value of up to $700 (incl GST) at Crystal Creek Meadows, Kangaroo Valley, finalist in the 2018 Green Globe Awards. OR
- An accommodation/meal package for two to the value of up to $700 (incl GST) at The Observatory Hotel, Port Macquarie, winner of two Green Globe Awards including the Premier's Award 2014. OR
- A similar package at an ecologically focused venue/resort of the winner's choosing (by agreement with LGNSW), up to the value of $700 (incl GST).
BACK TO MAIN PAGE