At Local Government NSW (LGNSW), we offer expert legal and policy advice to member councils and their employees free of charge.
Under the direction of either the Mayor or General Manager, councillors and staff can contact LGNSW’s Legal Officer for advice on a wide range of issues affecting local government, including:
- Local Government Act and Regulations
- Planning and Environmental Law
- Administrative Law
- Property Law (incl. Leasing)
- Contract Law
- Code of Conduct issues and complaints
- Council meetings and procedural fairness
- Public access to government information
The LGNSW Legal Officer is also responsible for managing applications from councils for legal assistance in legal proceedings before the NSW Court of Appeal by way of the Legal Assistance Policy and Guidelines (PDF, 60KB) and LGNSW’s free and confidential councillor and mayoral mentoring service.
For more information about LGNSW’s legal support services, please contact Elizabeth Hayes.
BACK TO MAIN PAGE